When I first started strength training I was excited because I thought I would definitely lose some weight and that would be the only result of my weight lifting. Boy was I wrong!! Here are the 7 things that I most noticed as a result of my weightlifting
1. It is addictive! After just a short time I lifting weights I stopped dreading my weight lifting sessions and looked forward to them. I even caught myself adding in extra workouts when I could.
2. You really do enjoy the DOMS! After my first weight lifting session I had trouble walking out of the gym. #legday I hurt so much the days that followed due to DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). I really did not think I would continue because, let’s be serious, who really wants to inflict pain on themselves? Over time I began To appreciate the soreness and now when I am not sore after a workout I feel like I wasted a workout.
3. You will love feeling your muscles! When I first started developing arm muscles I would catch my self flexing and feeling of them all the time. There was such novelty there. Usually when you get something new, you are really interested for a while, and then the novelty wear off. Well with muscles that never happens. I still (3+ years in) catch myself feeling my muscles all the time.
4. It’s fun to flex! I never thought I would be a person that would stand in front of a mirror and flex. When I started doing it I realize I wasn’t that type of person because I didn’t have anything worth flexing. Now that I actually have some visible muscles, I love flexing them!!
5. -You will find muscles you never knew you had! I feel like I am always discovering new. Muscles There will come a day after you workout when you will feel DOMS in a new place. Or maybe you are as clueless as I was about my body when I first started I gave my trainer a good laugh when I was convinced something was wrong with me (tumor, mass, etc,) when I felt a newly developed muscle.
6. Workout clothes will become your fashion statement! . There is nothing more exciting than wearing a new set of workout clothes to the gym and I am always on the lookout for new workout clothes. If I am buying new clothes more than likely they are going to be do the gym.
7. You lift weights for fun! I never imagined that I would be a Person who would actually enjoy doing any form of exercise. Let’s be serious, working out can be exhausting (or so I thought). Now not only do I think my weight lifting sessions are fun, but I would give up any night on the town to hit the gym and throw around some heavy weight.
So if you have just started strength training and thinking of giving up, DON’T!!! It’s only a matter of time till you start noticing these things too!!